The current challenge for executives engaged in asset maintenance is the creation of a “distributed knowledge system” that allows each actor involved in the process management to have access to relevant information about the object being tested when the need arises.
The above-mentioned system has to have the following characteristic in order to ensure its efficiency and effectiveness:
- Robustness, in order to ensure that its use can not be affected by many types of solicitation;
- Flexibility, providing a transversal solution to many sectors (from aeronautical, industrial, rail, to oil and gas and utilities);
- Versatility, which allows differentiated access to the tag memory according to the user permissions ;
- Safety with regards to the preservation of sensitive data in memory;
- Capacity, for the amount of information to handle;
- Ease of use, which offers the operator an intuitive interface that allows him to interact easily with the system through the supplied mobile device.
Furthermore, from a set of different objects, it will be possible to create a “digital ecosystem” where objects (now “smart” thanks to electronic labels) coexist and can interact uniquely with operators and therefore with and without management databases.
Smart Point SA has successfully carried out several solutions in a variety of business environments, both national and international.
- Siemens Healthcare, has adopted Smart Point® technology for the operation of new generation mammography machines;
- Metronapoli S.p.A., which manages the famous Naples’ Art Subway, has adopted Smart Point® technology to support IT maintenance. The project is already operative and allows the management and control of maintenance, both scheduled and extraordinary, of 21 types of different objects. Operators, equipped with a tablet and a reader, run their check and record on the tag theirs activities. After that inspection data is downloaded to the central software and becomes available to be analyzed in back office by the management, which performs the necessary processing and verification. The process is simple, but it guarantees maximum reliability on the data source, exponentially increasing data transfer rate as well as the efficiency and security for the Users;
- Caterpillar Inc., has used Smart Point® to handle critical spare parts. The project took place in Indonesia, where a Dealer Cat labelled ten critical components on each sold vehicle. This solution has made possible the prior knowledge of the plane of return to the vehicle for scheduled maintenance. This solution made it possible to know in advance the return plan of the vehicle for planned maintenance. Thus, the traceability of the activities carried out on repaired and sometimes cannibalized components has allowed efficiency gains, due to the strong increase in the availability of the means. Furthermore, being able to view contextually the history of each component, has allowed optimizing the pieces, which have been subjected to cannibalization.
- Termoli Port Authority has adopted the Smart Point® Solutions obtaining:
- The computerized management of maintenance on main building facilities (electrical panels, UPS, fire fighting and anti-intruder centres, etc.);
- The creation of the building “electronic booklet”: registration of the design features and project data on Smart Point® tags.
In this way, the port of Termoli has had the possibility, with the help of the supplied software, to dispose, immediately and continuously, of the building’s significant data.
The purpose of this electronic booklet is to provide every structure of a robust and reliable system that preserves project information over time. Think, for example, at a future restoration of the structure or at the normal turnover of men and maintenance companies.
A leading company of the Italgas Group, in the same way has started the instrumental management through the Smart Point® labels. Technical asset management, as well as all maintenance and calibration activities, have come together in one process, achieving an improvement in the company’s quality system.